What I do and do not know about installing Python on Win 7 with regard to IDLE.

Alexander Kapps alex.kapps at web.de
Thu Nov 24 19:32:08 EST 2011

On 25.11.2011 01:04, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> So by your reasoning, that's at least 20 ways to infect my Linux system.
> I never realised just how insecure Linux must be!

Yes, there are 20+ ways to "infect" your (and mine) Linux system.
You cannot trust *any* kind of 3rd party code. Period.

Have you ever added a 3rd party repo (PPA or such). Have you ever
added some Firefox addon or installed some 3rd-party addition (of
any kind) to some program)

Where is the protection now?

The main difference here is, that Linux makes it easy to seperate
administrative accounts from end-user accounts,

The custom addon/cmdlet/whatever I give you has the same dangers on
Linux as on windows. If you blindly install it, you're owned!

> If "sharing code" is considered to be synonymous with "infection", what
> does that say about the Free and Open Source Software movement?

Completely besides the topic. It's not about "sharing code", but
about the seperation between normal and administrative user on the
OS level (which Windows still doesn't have by default).

> Linux-users-aren't-the-only-people-allowed-to-write-shell-scripts-ly y'rs,

But-Linux-Users-aren't-root-by-default-ly y'rs.

:)