What I do and do not know about installing Python on Win 7 with regard to IDLE.

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Nov 24 19:04:04 EST 2011

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 17:25:23 -0600, Tony the Tiger wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 17:43:20 -0800, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
>
>> Windows PowerShell includes more than one hundred basic core cmdlets,
>> and you can write your own cmdlets and share them with other users.
>
> Oh, goodie! They've found yet another way to infect a Windows system. :)

My Linux system includes compilers or interpreters for C, Pascal,
Haskell, Forth, Python, Ruby, PHP, Javascript, Java, bash, csh, zsh, sh,
awk, sed, Perl, SQL, Tcl, Tk, OpenXion, and very likely others. Most of
these were supplied by the vendor. I could write my own executable code,
"cmdlets" if you will, in any of these languages, and share them with
others.

So by your reasoning, that's at least 20 ways to infect my Linux system.
I never realised just how insecure Linux must be!

If "sharing code" is considered to be synonymous with "infection", what
does that say about the Free and Open Source Software movement?

Linux-users-aren't-the-only-people-allowed-to-write-shell-scripts-ly y'rs,

--
Steven