What do you use with Python for GUI programming and why?

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 16:45:36 EST 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Fred Pacquier <xnews2 at fredp.lautre.net>wrote:

> Robert <sigzero at gmail.com> said :
>
> > Is there a push to one toolkit or the other?
>
> If you are just now getting started, I would honestly suggest you save a
> whole lot of time and dive straight into PyQt. I've tried most 'em over the
> years (including some now discontinued), and in my experience Qt is way
> above the rest, especially as far as consistency and productivity are
> concerned. The Python bindings are very mature and well maintained, and go
> a long way attenuating the evil C++ roots.
>
> I havent tried Nokia's equivalent (PySide). I'm not sure what its fate will
> turn out, given the company's change of heart and Microsoft honeymoon. At
> least PyQt is't going anywhere soon.

Didn't Nokia acquire Trolltech (and hence the rights to much if not all of
Qt) in 2008?

I'm not at all sure Qt's future is as bright as one might wish for.  They've
already declared that Qt will not be ported to Windows Mobile in any
official way, and of course mobile (not necessarily Windows Mobile) is where
just about everything is headed.

Actually, for something that's very cross-platform, you might check this
out: http://radicalbreeze.com/  Bryan can be a bit of a goober, but it
sounds like he's successfully implemented a great idea for quickly and
easily writing cross-platform applications.

"Illumination even gives you the full Adobe Flex, Android Java, iOS Obj-C
and Python source code to the projects you create.  Making it a great way to
prototype new projects, or learn new languages."

I've still got a soft spot for Pyjamas though - it's opensource.