What do you use with Python for GUI programming and why?

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 16:24:16 EST 2011

On 11-03-2011 22:45, Dan Stromberg wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Fred Pacquier <xnews2 at fredp.lautre.net
> <mailto:xnews2 at fredp.lautre.net>> wrote:
>
>     Robert <sigzero at gmail.com <mailto:sigzero at gmail.com>> said :
>
>     > Is there a push to one toolkit or the other?
>
>     If you are just now getting started, I would honestly suggest you save a
>     whole lot of time and dive straight into PyQt. I've tried most 'em over the
>     years (including some now discontinued), and in my experience Qt is way
>     above the rest, especially as far as consistency and productivity are
>     concerned. The Python bindings are very mature and well maintained, and go
>     a long way attenuating the evil C++ roots.
>
>     I havent tried Nokia's equivalent (PySide). I'm not sure what its fate will
>     turn out, given the company's change of heart and Microsoft honeymoon. At
>     least PyQt is't going anywhere soon.
>

> Didn't Nokia acquire Trolltech (and hence the rights to much if not all of Qt) in 2008?
yep, and they just sold the commercial part of QT to Digia.

> I'm not at all sure Qt's future is as bright as one might wish for.  They've already declared that
> Qt will not be ported to Windows Mobile in any official way, and of course mobile (not necessarily
> Windows Mobile) is where just about everything is headed.
And Nokia is talking with Micraosoft about using theirs Phone 7

> Actually, for something that's very cross-platform, you might check this out:
> http://radicalbreeze.com/  Bryan can be a bit of a goober, but it sounds like he's successfully
> implemented a great idea for quickly and easily writing cross-platform applications.
another way of reaching the same goal,
is to use a wrapper that supports the different backends.
As I found wxPython much too difficult (I was a Delphi guy),
I started directly with a wrapper when I started using wxPython a few years ago.
In the meanwhile I've extended (very experimental) the wrapper so it not only supports wxPython, but
also PyJamas, PySide and PyGUi.

cheers,
Stef