WxPython versus Tkinter.

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 17:41:03 EST 2011

On Jan 24, 4:19 pm, "Littlefield, Tyler" <ty... at tysdomain.com> wrote:

> I say this all because I want to make a point. I don't expect the world
> to revolve around what is and isn't accessible. While laws do exist, if
> I ran around quoting the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) at
> everyone who didn't make things accessible (whether on the computer, at
> school, at a store), I'd just be wasting time.

I disagree, you would be educating people and you would be suppressing
selfishness.

> Rather I like to blend
> in, be independant and adapt things. Now, since i am a programmer this
> means that I am able to do a lot more in the form of adaptation on the
> computer, and this is my goal; if something is broke, fix the root or
> work with the developer.

Have you tried to "fix" Tkinters non-existent accessibility? Have you
campaigned for change? Have you written any code? Just FYI: Tkinter
has been around for 20 plus years!

>  Don't just whine about it not being accessible.
> It will get you nowhere, and it's people like Octavian I dread having
> had people meat before because by golly, -everything- better be accessible.

You know Tyler for someone that depends on accessibility as much as
you you sure are a supporter of non-compliance. I think you are lying
about being blind. And if you are, i am disgusted.

> So, call me a Nazi or whatever, that's just how I feel. The world
> doesn't come on a silver platter, and so if Octavian, or I, or anyone
> else wants any sort of changes done (as in the changes to TkInter), work
> needs to go into helping these changes come about.

Yes and making an argument is part of that work. Good arguments change
minds.

>  Making a library part
> of the STDLib and then worrying about the fact that it segfaults later
> is foolish,

Of course it's foolish to do that. No one is suggesting that we throw
wxPython in the stdlib as is. We know some work needs to be done. Heck
maybe an abstraction API needs to be written. Don't be so theatrical
Tyler, it wins you no points.

>  especially if you are going to do it just for accessibility.

We are not doing it JUST for accessibility! Accessibility is just one
of many reasons. The most important reason is to keep Python relevant
in the 21st century.

> And regardless of whether RR gets his deepest wish and it is made part
> of the STDLib, people will still use TKInter.

Yes, i am not trying to destroy Tkinter. I am trying to tell you that
Tkinter is dead weight for Python.

> What then, for those with
> readers? Should we just abolish TKInter altogether?
> On 1/24/2011 1:45 PM, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

Well if i were a blind person i would use the most accessible GUI
available.