Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

geremy condra debatem1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 22:22:27 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 4:53 PM, rantingrick <rantingrick at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't think this is the case, first because you aren't very good at
>> getting anybody to take you seriously
>
> How "self absorbed" must someone be to blame *ME* because *THEY*
> cannot take *ME* seriously. Is this a joke Geremy? Sadly i know it to
> be true however because you are not the only person who carries this
> attitude.

Welcome to real life. You convince people that you're right or they
don't do what you say.

>> and second because I don't think
>> that resistance on this issue is as mindless as you claim.
>
> i have exposed the baseless, nonsensical, and argumentative stance
> taken by some in an effort to sway public opinion with FUD and BS. So
> i would say that arguing with baseless facts does constitute "rabid
> resistance". What else could it be?

Reasoned resistance seen through the eyes of someone whose judgement
should not be trusted.

>> I disagree with the first half. The second I'm more prone to agree
>> with, although I don't have a lot of great ideas about how to solve
>> the problem.
>
> Well maybe you are not a visionary, however i believe we still need
> you in other areas.

Oh, do tell.

>> You seem to be full of ideas (most of which I think are
>> terrible) but very short on actually getting anything done. Until you
>> begin to remedy that I doubt very many people here will take you as
>> seriously as you seem to want.
>
> Look, every organization needs workers, visionaries, liaisons,
> supervisors, etc. I seem to fit nicely into a Visionary role. Maybe
> that bothers you? I don't know? But we all have our place Geremy. Do
> you think any organization could survive simply with robotic workers
> and no guidance? No, and why not? Because workers cannot see the big
> picture. They are too focused (and rightly so) on some small detail
> that encompasses their job duty. Only the supervisor/visionary has the
> luxury of looking at the problem from a global perspective.
>
> Think of Python-dev as a car. A car is a machine. A very complicated
> machine that needs a driver to harness it's power and give it
> direction and purpose. -- someone who can see "beyond" the horizon.
> Someone who can read a road map and then re-calculate a path if road
> construction blocks the current one. Without the car the driver is
> nothing, and without the driver the car is nothing.

Python already has leadership. It does not have a command structure.
There is a difference, one that you would need to understand to be an
effective leader.

> But together, they
> are a force to reckoned with. Well, unless the driver is Asian -- then
> all bets are off! :-)

Hahaha, racism was so funny in the 1700's! Now it's just asinine.

>> Also, be careful with where you say 'we'- I certainly don't recognize
>> your authority to speak on behalf of the community, and I suspect that
>> an overwhelming majority of the community's other members feel the
>> same way.
>
> You see! This is the resistance i am talking about. You (and others)
> don't want to accept me as part of the community. If you did accept
> me, then my speaking collectively (we) would not be troubling to you.
> However i do not blame you directly for this prejudice. I think it is
> more of a sub-conscience undercurrent that pervades this community as
> a whole. A fear of outsiders. A xenophobia if you will. We need to
> change this now!

There's a difference between 'we should' and 'we must'. One implies
that you are trying to convince, which is what communities of equals
do. The other implies that you are trying to command, which is what
idiots think they can do to communities of equals.

Geremy Condra