move to end, in Python 3.2 Really?

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 18:22:43 EST 2011

On Jan 18, 3:07 pm, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 1/18/2011 11:27 AM, rantingrick wrote:

> When proposed features are listed on the tracker, as I think this one
> should have been, anyone who registers can comment. Real names are
> strongly preferred (and required for elevated tracker and repository
> access).

Agreed. However you cannot expect the ordinary python programmers to
follow the tracker. They are not a political as we. However they do
have a voice and we must listen. How can we call ourselves a community
when there exists no means by which the "real" users can express
themselves?

> > Currently we have a closed set of intellectual inbreeding that is
> > rotting the community gene pool.
>
> Do you actually believe this nonsense, or are you just ranting for effect?

This was a strong statement and it was meant to be strong. On on the
face of it some might take it as an insult to the intelligence of our
leaders -- i can assure you that is not the case! Of course we have
good people at the top, however they are not hearing the voices
screaming from below. They are making decisions in a vacuum. This
cannot produce positive results for very much longer. I fear we have
already begun the downward spiral as a community. We must get a grip
and pull ourselves together before inertia rips us apart at the seams.

> One way to demonstrate the needed technical and social skills for commit
> access is to participate on the tracker with comments, reviews, and patches.

We cannot even discuss the tracker until we fix this abomination
called c.l.py.  We need to focus on c.l.py. We need to get it back on
track. And i want everyone to participate even the outright bullies
and predators (if they can tone done the rhetoric and be nice again!).
We as a community are existing in a vacuum. Likewise Python dev is
existing in a vacuum. However both of us are in parallel universes. We
must combine the head with the tail or we have nothing but component
parts. Can a car function without wheels? Can a plane function without
it's wings? No, an we are just component parts idle in some
intellectual factory collecting dust!

>  > We need more diversity in this
>
> > "milkshake" to bring about and foster healthy ideas.
>
> Python leaders already know we need more diversity of knowledge and
> skills to target Python at diverse platforms with diverse batteries.
> Last summer Guido said that we should be a bit more liberal with commit
> access. Right now, Brett Cannon is working under a PSF grant to greatly
> improve the developer docs so new developers can more easily get up to
> speed. One of the stated goals of moving the repository from svn to hg
> (a non-trivial project) is to make it easier for more people to
> contribute, with or without 'commit privileges'.

This is a great advancement! Keep them coming!