move to end, in Python 3.2 Really?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jan 18 16:07:55 EST 2011

On 1/18/2011 11:27 AM, rantingrick wrote:
> On Jan 18, 6:46 am, Antoine Pitrou<solip... at pitrou.net>  wrote:
>
>> Design considerations? Where were they discussed?

I far as I know, nowhere until that post in this thread.

> They were never discussed with the bulk of this community and that is
> part of what i want to change. We have a very small group of folks
> making all the decisions and that is fine. However this small group of
> "privileged" folks needs to gather input from the rest of us
> (peasants) on the value of such changes before making rash decisions.

When proposed features are listed on the tracker, as I think this one
should have been, anyone who registers can comment. Real names are
strongly preferred (and required for elevated tracker and repository
access).

> Currently we have a closed set of intellectual inbreeding that is
> rotting the community gene pool.

Do you actually believe this nonsense, or are you just ranting for effect?

In 2010, 20 people were granted commit access. We have 2 more new and
active people this month. The active subset of these 22 comprise a
substantial fraction of active developers. Without a constant influx of
new people, the Python project would slowly die as people left to do
other things.

One way to demonstrate the needed technical and social skills for commit
access is to participate on the tracker with comments, reviews, and patches.

 > We need more diversity in this
> "milkshake" to bring about and foster healthy ideas.

Python leaders already know we need more diversity of knowledge and
skills to target Python at diverse platforms with diverse batteries.
Last summer Guido said that we should be a bit more liberal with commit
access. Right now, Brett Cannon is working under a PSF grant to greatly
improve the developer docs so new developers can more easily get up to
speed. One of the stated goals of moving the repository from svn to hg
(a non-trivial project) is to make it easier for more people to
contribute, with or without 'commit privileges'.

--
Terry Jan Reedy