Screen Control Fullscreen ON/OFF

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Thu Dec 15 14:50:27 EST 2011

On 2011-12-15, Nizamov Shawkat <nizamov.shawkat at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I would like to make fullscreen white and fullscreen black using
>>> Python on Linux. With in the specs of the LCD, I want to be able to
>>> display fullscreen white and black approximately at 30Hz. Frequency
>>> (on/off per second) will be input manually which is between 1-40Hz.
>>> Any idea where to start ? Can Python perform such fast thing ?
>>
>> Forgot to mention and sorry for the pollution ;
>>
>> My LCD has 2ms respond time thus it can handle a maximum of 50Hz ON/
>> OFF (white/black) thus seems to fit my 1-40Hz range. I am not asking
>> or looking for a fully working code, I just need some directions.
>

> It depends on whether you want sync to vblank or not. If not, that is
> pretty easy - use sleep() or something similar. If you have to use
> sync (screen is always either black or white, never partly black and
> white) then it is much much more difficult. Actually I do not know of
> any way to sync to it.

I'm _guessing_ the results won't be acceptible unless you switch
during the veritical blanking period. (_is_ there a vertical blanking
period with a DVI or HDMI output?).

I have vague recollections that I think opengl has methods to do that.

If there is an easy way to do it, it'll probably be using pygame:

  http://pygame.org/news.html

If pygame can't do it, try pyopengl:

  http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/

Here's a thread on how to do it on OSX:

  http://www.idevgames.com/forums/thread-2974.html

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! My face is new, my
                                  at               license is expired, and I'm