Installing WebDAV server

Fokke Nauta fnautaNO at SPAMsolfon.nl
Wed Aug 31 05:27:36 EDT 2011

"Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" <PointedEars at web.de> wrote in message
news:4761603.ypaU67uLZW at PointedEars.de...
> Fokke Nauta wrote:
>
>> "Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" <PointedEars at web.de> wrote in message
>> news:6545843.yvFAXZvWTv at PointedEars.de...
>
> It's attribution _line_, not attribution novel.  Your quotes are hardly
> legible, too ? <http://insideoe.com/>

>>> That is really not a *G*raphical User Interface, but the (text-based)
>>> Python shell.
>>
>> Yes, I noticed. But the application has the name of Python GUI.
>
> ACK.  Admittedly I cannot remember having used Python on Windows (XP)
> except
> via Cygwin.

>>>  "Doctor, my arm hurts when I move it." - "Don't move it, then."
>>
>> I don't see the point here ...
>
> Do not run `python' or the "Python GUI", then.
>
>>> The Python shell executes Python code.  The above obviously is not
>>> Python
>>> code, but *system* shell commands.  So let the *system* command shell
>>> execute them (as indicated by the `$' prompt, which is customary for a
>>> sh-based UNIX/Linux shell prompt).
>>
>> I know. I worked with SCO Unix and various sorts of Linux.
>> But never with Python, so I hadn't got a clue about the prompt.
>
> Come on, with that experience you see a `$' and those commands and don't
> realize it is (ba)sh?

Ofcourse I realized it was Unix/Linux. I already could tell that as the
packages I downloaded were tar.gz files.
So I unpacked them and expected to run a Python installer script from the
Python command line.
Hence my question "How do I do that", but perhaps I did not make myself
clear enough.

Tried to run the Python installer script from the DOS command line but that
resulted in an error.

As I have Cygwin running as well, I could try to install it there instead of
in Windows.

>>> Since you use Windows XP, type `cmd' to get the command shell (if you
>>> knew MS-DOS, which I doubt, you are at home now).
>>
>> I know MSDOS. I even worked with CP/M
>
> Good for you.
>
>>> However, you appear to have found the *UNIX/Linux* README (and the
>>> corresponding version?) of that server: the second command is usually
>>> how
>>> you would run a program as daemon on Unices (run through an init
>>> script),
>>> while on Windows NT (like XP) you would have a setup program install a
>>> service for you (maybe to execute that command when the service is
>>> started).  Look for the Windows version.
>>
>> There is no other Windows version except the packages I mentioned,
>> PyWebDAV and PyXML. The only Windows thing I got was the Python
>> interpreter itself.
>
> Has it not occurred to you to STFW for "easy_install" first?

What do you mean by STFW?

I wasn't aware that easy_install was a utility. Downloaded and installed the
Windows version and run easy_install pywebdav.
It downloaded something, installed something and finished something.
But, once again, don't know how to proceed.
Otherwise I'll give it a try under Cygwin.

>>> RTFM.
>>
>> Which fucking manual?
>
> That of the server, on Windows-related information.  Or that of
> easy_install.  Or Python.  Whichever comes first.

It's my own server and I didn't write a manual for it.
In the manual of Easy_install it says how to install packaged etc and I did
sucessfully.
There is no furter information as how to proceed. That's why I posted my
question here.

>>> Look for the Windows version.  If there is none, get easy_install and
>>> use
>>> it as described.

I did and it worked. What's next?

Fokke