Installing WebDAV server

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn PointedEars at web.de
Tue Aug 30 20:00:33 EDT 2011

Fokke Nauta wrote:

> "Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" <PointedEars at web.de> wrote in message
> news:6545843.yvFAXZvWTv at PointedEars.de...

It's attribution _line_, not attribution novel.  Your quotes are hardly
legible, too → <http://insideoe.com/>

>> Fokke Nauta wrote:
>>> I'm running a PC with XP Pro32, [.]
>>> […] In the PyWebDAV README it says:
>>>
>>> Installation and setup of server can be as easy as follows:
>>>
>>> $ easy_install PyWebDAV
>>> $ davserver -D /tmp -n -J
>>>
>>> But of course it doesn't work like that. When I start up Python GUI
>> That is really not a *G*raphical User Interface, but the (text-based)
>> Python shell.
>
> Yes, I noticed. But the application has the name of Python GUI.

ACK.  Admittedly I cannot remember having used Python on Windows (XP) except
via Cygwin.

>>> I see the ">>>" prompt instead of the "$" prompt.
>>  "Doctor, my arm hurts when I move it." - "Don't move it, then."
>
> I don't see the point here ...

Do not run `python' or the "Python GUI", then.

>> The Python shell executes Python code.  The above obviously is not Python
>> code, but *system* shell commands.  So let the *system* command shell
>> execute them (as indicated by the `$' prompt, which is customary for a
>> sh-based UNIX/Linux shell prompt).
>
> I know. I worked with SCO Unix and various sorts of Linux.
> But never with Python, so I hadn't got a clue about the prompt.

Come on, with that experience you see a `$' and those commands and don't
realize it is (ba)sh?

>> Since you use Windows XP, type `cmd' to get the command shell (if you
>> knew MS-DOS, which I doubt, you are at home now).
>
> I know MSDOS. I even worked with CP/M

Good for you.

>> However, you appear to have found the *UNIX/Linux* README (and the
>> corresponding version?) of that server: the second command is usually how
>> you would run a program as daemon on Unices (run through an init script),
>> while on Windows NT (like XP) you would have a setup program install a
>> service for you (maybe to execute that command when the service is
>> started).  Look for the Windows version.
>
> There is no other Windows version except the packages I mentioned,
> PyWebDAV and PyXML. The only Windows thing I got was the Python
> interpreter itself.

Has it not occurred to you to STFW for "easy_install" first?

>>> And there is no easy_install script in the PyXML-0.8.4
>>> directory, only a setup.py and ez_setup.py script. I guess the latter is
>>> the one to use. But how?
>> RTFM.
>
> Which fucking manual?

That of the server, on Windows-related information.  Or that of
easy_install.  Or Python.  Whichever comes first.

>>> How do I proceed next?
>> Look for the Windows version.  If there is none, get easy_install and use
>> it as described.
>
> Thanks for your quick reply.
> This means "Show over"?

No, it means "Do your homework".

--
PointedEars

Bitte keine Kopien per E-Mail. / Please do not Cc: me.