GUIs - A Modest Proposal

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Jun 8 21:28:23 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 16:58 -0700, rantingrick wrote:
> We have a problem

No, we don't.  Or at least, I don't.

>  """I don't use Tkinter so i don't care!""""

+1

> ... well just keep your negativity to yourself. When you have real
> solutions or real ideas that could foster real solutions then for
> Pete's sake bring them forth and let them be weighed in the balances
> of truth. But i can tell you right now, everyone will have to
> sacrifice something to get the perfect GUI for Python.

And I'll be riding winged Unicorn's in New York's Time Square tomorrow.
That's as likely as a "perfect GUI" (whatever that means).

>  Yes you heard
> me correctly, the perfect GUI for Python! Not the perfect GUI for you,
> me, or even xah lee!

A "perfect GUI for Python" is just a nebulous fantasy.

> There is a bright side, this is the best discussion i have witnessed
> on this subject in two years (Probably due to fact that i did not
> instigate the discussion). So the question is what should we do and
> how should we do it?
>  - We can fix Tkinter by making it lean and mean.
>  - We can start fresh and really create something very Pythonic.
>  - We can do nothing and sit around for another two years complaining
> like premenstrual Prima donna's.

Option #4 - we can continue to very effectively develop solutions with
the situation as it is.  Witness the awesome Zeitgeist application in
GNOME 3 - a GUI, developed in *gasp* Python.  A real working solution
that is part of a major project... Hmmmm.

> So keep the ideas rolling in people. We need to hear from every side
> of this forum.

Meanwhile everyone who disagrees with you will be told "well just keep
your negativity to yourself".  So much for "every side".

Signing out of this thread.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>