The real problem with Python 3 - no business case for conversion (was "I strongly dislike Python 3")

Steven D'Aprano steve-REMOVE-THIS at cybersource.com.au
Mon Jul 5 03:07:22 EDT 2010

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 18:59:03 -0700, John Nagle wrote:

> Denying that there's a problem does not help.

Nobody is denying that there is a problem, but there are plenty of people
denying that there are any solutions.

The folks doing development of CPython are genuinely interested in
constructive criticism. Go spend some time on the python-dev mailing list
to see that they're serious about resolving problems. But harping on and
on with the same old negatives and same old FUD ("Python is too slow,
nothing works with Python 3, people will abandon Python, the transition
is being mismanaged, blah blah blah blah") conspicuously lacking in
*actual* details is not helping anyone.

Let's hear specifics. What is your project, what is the project timeline,
why did you want to use 3.1 (instead of, say, waiting for 3.2) and what
*specific* problem stopped you? I'm not interested in hand-waving and
vague generalities. I want to hear names and versions, not bitching.

"We are planning on building an app to do Foo, and choose to target 2.6
instead of 3.1 because the 3rd party FooLib only supports 2.5 and 2.6..."

"I wrote an app using 3.1, and ran into these really painful problems
with this library..."

That's the sort of thing that is helpful.

By the same token, if you've successfully targeted 3.1, we'd love to hear
your success stories too.

--
Steven