The real problem with Python 3 - no business case for conversion (was "I strongly dislike Python 3")

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 23:40:47 EDT 2010

On Jul 4, 8:59 pm, John Nagle <na... at animats.com> wrote:

> That's what happens when you
> mismanage an incompatible transition.

+1

>     Python has strong competition.  In the last two years,
> Javascript has become much faster, PHP is getting a JIT compiler,
> Lua, as recently mentioned, is getting up there with C in speed, and
> Google is promoting Go.  The other scripting languages are becoming
> rocket-powered.   Meanwhile, Python is in year 2 of a 5-year plan to
> transition to something that goes no faster (and maybe slower) than
> the previous version.  (Yes, there's Unladen Swallow and PyPy, but
> neither of those projects seems to be anywhere near deployment,
> and even if they succeed, their claimed speed goals are well below where
> the competition is now.)  That's just not good enough any more.
>
>     Denying that there's a problem does not help.

+1

Hmm, i myself railed against the changes in Python3.x about 1 year
ago. Then, as i pondered the reasons behind such changes i began to
believe that the BDFL is wiser than us all! However, i must agree that
many of the points you bring up here are real. People ARE stuck in
limbo right now and there is no good direction to go... Stick with 2.x
and have all the 3rd party support but soon enough you will need to do
a major bug fixing, or move to 3.x -- oh wait i can't move to 3.x
because module xxyy is not 3.x compatible! What we have here gentlemen
is a situation, a terrible situation made worse by our lack to
understand it.