The real problem with Python 3 - no business case for conversion (was "I strongly dislike Python 3")

Steven D'Aprano steve-REMOVE-THIS at cybersource.com.au
Mon Jul 5 02:31:46 EDT 2010

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 17:34:04 -0700, sturlamolden wrote:

> Using Python 2.x for new
> projects is not advisable (at least many will think so), and using 3.x
> is not possible. What to do? It's not a helpful situation for Python.

That's pure FUD.

Python 2.7 will be supported longer than the normal support period for
versions 2.6, 2.5, 2.4, ... so if you have a new project that requires
libraries that aren't available for 3.1, then go right ahead and use 2.7.
By the time 2.7 is no longer supported (probably around the time 3.4
comes out?), the library situation will be fixed.

Those 3.1 features that can be backported to 2.x have been, specifically
to reduce the pain in porting 2.7-based applications to 3.x. Feature-
wise, 2.7 is designed to ease the transition from the 2.x series to the
3.x series. Claiming that it's not advisable to use 2.7 is simply
nonsense.

--
Steven