Exception as the primary error handling mechanism?

Tue Jan 5 23:48:30 EST 2010

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 00:58:58 +0000, r0g wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano wrote:

>>> Well, if being told “no” is going to piss you off, I think you're in
>>> for a rough time.
>>
>> Oh, you're in trouble now! If you think he gets upset at being told no,
>> you should see how upset he gets at being told he's in for a rough
>> time!!!
>>
>> *wink*
>>

> NO! It's a rude way to start a sentence don't you think?

No.

I'm not Japanese, I don't feel any social prohibition at saying No in
this context. I'm also happy to start a sentence with "You're wrong", and
occasionally I give in to temptation to start it with "Are you on crack?".

> Just because
> you're correcting someone doesn't mean you have to be combative and try
> and make them feel small. Unless they've adopted a hostile or wilfully
> ignorant tone there's no reason to be so brusqe with people. You can be
> both nice AND terse you  know.

Now I feel hurt that you're publicly rebuking me and making me feel as if
I've done something wrong by trying to lighten the mood with a small
joke...

Nah, just kidding.

--
Steven