Exception as the primary error handling mechanism?

r0g aioe.org at technicalbloke.com
Tue Jan 5 19:58:58 EST 2010

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 09:39:08 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
>
>> r0g <aioe.org at technicalbloke.com> writes:
>>
>>> Of course I'm now guilty of pedantry too :/ I might have let it slip
>>> had you not started your reply with the word "No", that just p***** me
>>> off.
>> Well, if being told “no” is going to piss you off, I think you're in for
>> a rough time.
>
> Oh, you're in trouble now! If you think he gets upset at being told no,
> you should see how upset he gets at being told he's in for a rough time!!!
>
> *wink*

NO! It's a rude way to start a sentence don't you think? Just because
you're correcting someone doesn't mean you have to be combative and try
and make them feel small. Unless they've adopted a hostile or wilfully
ignorant tone there's no reason to be so brusqe with people. You can be
both nice AND terse you  know.

I can't imagine why I expect good manners on usenet though, AFAICT it's
never been like that (well not since I got on it anyway).

Roger.