C:\Python25\Lib\IDLELIB\idle.pyw won't start

Anthra Norell anthra.norell at bluewin.ch
Fri Feb 5 08:23:57 EST 2010

Thank you both (Alf and Duncan) for your comments. I answer Duncan's
questions interleaved:

Duncan Booth wrote:
> Anthra Norell <anthra.norell at bluewin.ch> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>>    I upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5 and am unable to start an 2.5 idle
>>    window.
>>
>> This is the command I have been using:
>>    C:\Python24\pythonw.exe C:\Python24\Lib\IDLELIB\idle.pyw -n -c
>> execfile('C:\\Python24\\i')
>>
>> And this is the command that doesn't start anything:
>>    C:\Python25\pythonw.exe C:\Python25\Lib\IDLELIB\idle.pyw -n -c
>> execfile('C:\\Python25\\i')
>>
>> The command is exactly the same with the digit 5 in the place of 4.
>> All paths and names are correct. C:\\Python25\\i sets up sys.path but
>> seems irrelevant, as taking the execfile () part out doesn't change
>> anything. The OS is Windows ME. The download of 2.5 finished with a
>> warning saying that 2.5 was the highest version for Windows 9* Any
>> tips?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Does 'unable to start a 2.5 idle window' mean you get some sort of error
> or simply that nothing happens?

Nothing happens and no error message shows. The disk head stepper makes
a brief attempt at something then goes silent and that's it.
> What happens if you simply run C:\Python25\Lib\IDLELIB\idle.bat
> Does that work or not?

Same thing: Nothing happens
> What about running this from a command prompt:
>
>  C:\Python25\python.exe C:\Python25\Lib\IDLELIB\idle.py

Same thing: Nothing!
> Does that run idle or do you get any error messages?
> What about this?
>
>  C:\Python25\python.exe C:\Python25\Lib\IDLELIB\idle.pyw

Nothing!
> Using pythonw.exe will start the program with all error output dumped in
> the bit bucket. Running from a command prompt with python.exe will at
> least let you see if there are any errors.

python.exe from the command line works all right in a DOS window. The
problem must be with  idle.pyw. I tried the old idle.pyw (2.4) with the
new python.exe. (2.5) and that didn't work either.
What is the bit bucket? If I had a clue, I could go from there. What
puzzles me is that version 2.4 has been working fine and one wouldn't
think that the changes from 2.4 to 2.5 would be so extensive as to cause
a major malfunction. For the time being 2.4 works fine. I'd much prefer
2.5, though, because it includes the image library (PIL), whereas 2.4
cannot even use it.

Frederic