C:\Python25\Lib\IDLELIB\idle.pyw won't start

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Fri Feb 5 06:38:15 EST 2010

Anthra Norell <anthra.norell at bluewin.ch> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5 and am unable to start an 2.5 idle
>    window.
>
> This is the command I have been using:
>    C:\Python24\pythonw.exe C:\Python24\Lib\IDLELIB\idle.pyw -n -c
> execfile('C:\\Python24\\i')
>
> And this is the command that doesn't start anything:
>    C:\Python25\pythonw.exe C:\Python25\Lib\IDLELIB\idle.pyw -n -c
> execfile('C:\\Python25\\i')
>
> The command is exactly the same with the digit 5 in the place of 4.
> All paths and names are correct. C:\\Python25\\i sets up sys.path but
> seems irrelevant, as taking the execfile () part out doesn't change
> anything. The OS is Windows ME. The download of 2.5 finished with a
> warning saying that 2.5 was the highest version for Windows 9* Any
> tips?
>
> Thanks

Does 'unable to start a 2.5 idle window' mean you get some sort of error
or simply that nothing happens?

What happens if you simply run C:\Python25\Lib\IDLELIB\idle.bat
Does that work or not?

What about running this from a command prompt:

 C:\Python25\python.exe C:\Python25\Lib\IDLELIB\idle.py

Does that run idle or do you get any error messages?
What about this?

 C:\Python25\python.exe C:\Python25\Lib\IDLELIB\idle.pyw

Using pythonw.exe will start the program with all error output dumped in
the bit bucket. Running from a command prompt with python.exe will at
least let you see if there are any errors.