Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Arndt Roger Schneider arndt.roger at addcom.de
Thu Dec 30 18:55:21 EST 2010

rantingrick schrieb:
> On Dec 29, 6:41 pm, Gerry Reno <gr... at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>wxPython looks good but I don't see anyone developing support for things
>>like smartphones.
>

> No wx is not the answer to our problems

Rather: ... to *your* problem...

>>Also, what do you think about frameworks such as pyjamas?  It lets you
>>write in python and compiles everything down to Javascript so it can be
>>used across the Web as well as on the desktop.
>

> Hmm, this is like two double edged swords smashing one another in
> battle.
>
> Sword One: On one hand web frameworks are going to be really big soon
> -- however legacy GUI's are not going away any time soon!

There are enough out there in the wild,
they will last quite for awhile indeed;
but it's time for them to die.

> Sword Two: On the other hand web frameworks provide awesome cross
> platform ability that is surly only going to get better as time goes
> -- however i utterly hate JavaScript (although much worse web
> languages exist!). And sending requests back and forth between Python,
> JavaScript,

Apparently the authors do know that, too:
MessageID:<mailman.1298.1290672551.2218.python-list at python.org>,
*sigh* no svg.

BTW: Look in comp.lang.javascript:
javascript is framework/toolkit resistent.

  and BrowserX is also a real PITA. Because even though
> everyone knows this is coming all the major browsers are trying to
> insert their API into the mix. So that Joe Scripter has to write code
> that is compatible between many browsers. Until the world agrees on a
> unified API --AND IMPLEMENTS IT SERIOUSLY-- we are at the mercy of
> drunken sailors at the helm.

svg: opera, chrome, safari(including ios), ie9, firefox.
Although svg is missing under webkit/android
--Apple kept the hardware accelerated part to themeselves.
Goolge is currently implementing hardware acceleration for svg in
chrome/webkit, likewise Microsoft/ie.
Lets wait and see when svg becomes available in android, too.

Although smil is quiet another subject.

> I believe pyjamas has a bright future in the web playground, however
> we still need to focus our community efforts towards a Python based
> GUI. I can see a pythonGUI and pyjamas existing side by side in mutual
> harmony for many years.

pyjamas: Perhaps without javascript.

-roger