Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 21:05:35 EST 2010

On 30-12-2010 02:03, rantingrick wrote:
> On Dec 29, 6:41 pm, Gerry Reno <gr... at verizon.net> wrote:
>> wxPython looks good but I don't see anyone developing support for things
>> like smartphones.
> No wx is not the answer to our problems
Just partial ;-)

Why not write a (Pythonic) wrapper and choose what will be under neat it ?

My personal situation at this moment:

    * for desktop applications we basically use wxPython
    * the use of sizers in wxPython is not easy and full of cross-pointers with useless names.
      Therefor we already used a wrapper for wxPython.
    * for components missing in wxPython, we embed PySide-QT and Delphi components in wxPython
    * for server-side web applications we use web2py
    * for client-side web applications we use PyJamas
    * for mobile devices we use PocketPyGUI
    * as PySide-QT is making a huge progress at the moment and has improved licenses, (and might be
      usable for mobile devices) we might want to  move gradually from wxPython to PySide-QT

Right at this moment, I'm writing a new wrapper, that already can handle (in a simple way) wxPython
and PySide-QT(partial).
After this works fully, PyJamas and Web2pY will be added (PockectPyGui can probably fully be
replaced by QT)

cheers,
Stef