Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 20:03:38 EST 2010

On Dec 29, 6:41 pm, Gerry Reno <gr... at verizon.net> wrote:
> wxPython looks good but I don't see anyone developing support for things
> like smartphones.

No wx is not the answer to our problems

> Also, what do you think about frameworks such as pyjamas?  It lets you
> write in python and compiles everything down to Javascript so it can be
> used across the Web as well as on the desktop.

Hmm, this is like two double edged swords smashing one another in
battle.

Sword One: On one hand web frameworks are going to be really big soon
-- however legacy GUI's are not going away any time soon!

Sword Two: On the other hand web frameworks provide awesome cross
platform ability that is surly only going to get better as time goes
-- however i utterly hate JavaScript (although much worse web
languages exist!). And sending requests back and forth between Python,
JavaScript, and BrowserX is also a real PITA. Because even though
everyone knows this is coming all the major browsers are trying to
insert their API into the mix. So that Joe Scripter has to write code
that is compatible between many browsers. Until the world agrees on a
unified API --AND IMPLEMENTS IT SERIOUSLY-- we are at the mercy of
drunken sailors at the helm.

I believe pyjamas has a bright future in the web playground, however
we still need to focus our community efforts towards a Python based
GUI. I can see a pythonGUI and pyjamas existing side by side in mutual
harmony for many years.