Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Katie T katie at coderstack.co.uk
Thu Dec 30 20:54:32 EST 2010

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 12:15 AM, rantingrick <rantingrick at gmail.com> wrote:

> However i need to stress that my intention is towards a 100% Python
> GUI. Not a binding, not a wrapping (except for OS calls!) but a *real*
> Python GUI. The only thing that i know of at this point is pyGUI
> although there are probably others. Allowing the average Python
> programmer the ability to read OS specific calls written in Python
> would not only benefit their GUI knowledge, but also there knowledge
> of OS's in general.

It's very hard to write a good gui framework, very very few people
have managed to do it well. Microsoft, Sun and Google have all had the
resources to hire very good developers and designers to dedicate to
the task and still haven't managed to do it well.

There's not the expertise or the investment in the Python community to
build a strong Python GUI solution. From an educational viewpoint I
see that there could be value in having a pure Python solution, but in
terms of having a GUI solution that people will actually want to use
in their apps, I'm dubious that it's achievable.

Katie
--
CoderStack
http://www.coderstack.co.uk/perl-jobs