Chandler, Python, speed

Tim Wintle tim.wintle at teamrubber.com
Sun Mar 8 15:13:03 EDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 22:05 +0000, Ville M. Vainio wrote:
> Alan G Isaac wrote:
>
> > 3. Chandler is not really an email client.  So specifically,
> > which of its functionalities is it slow, and what evidence
> > if any is there that Python is causing this?
>
> I remember reading "somewhere" that the cause of slowness is/was
> architectural - perhaps it was that chandler was persisting too much stuff
> to disk, or something. In any case, this might help you google for more
> detail.

I've been using it, and the only major issue I've got is the long
shutdown times, which is caused by backing up a copy of _Everything_ to
disk, so that upgrades can happen cleanly - sure that's going to be
fixed though.

Startup time is a bit slow too, but it's designed to be left open all
the time, and it's fairly zippy once it's open IMO.

Tim Wintle