Chandler, Python, speed

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 15:38:34 EDT 2009

Ville M. Vainio wrote:

> Alan G Isaac wrote:
>
>> 3. Chandler is not really an email client.  So specifically,
>> which of its functionalities is it slow, and what evidence
>> if any is there that Python is causing this?
>
> I remember reading "somewhere" that the cause of slowness is/was
> architectural - perhaps it was that chandler was persisting too much stuff
> to disk, or something. In any case, this might help you google for more
> detail.

Here's the "somewhere":

http://blog.chandlerproject.org/2008/05/21/rick-rawson-on-why-i-use-chandler-and-what-would-make-me-stop/

QQQ

Alex, you’re right that VM usage is a big factor, although there are cases
where the CPU is doing too much, too. So far as why this is, there are many
contributions. The biggest one is that architectural decisions taken early
on in the project meant that way too much data is being persisted. For
example, the app persists all schema and GUI layout information, leading to
on-disk and mapped memory bloat. (There is also redundancy in the data
stored on disk that leads to more of this kind of bloat).

QQQ