Chandler, Python, speed

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 23:01:46 EST 2009

On Mar 8, 8:05 am, "Ville M. Vainio" <vivai... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I remember reading "somewhere" that the cause of slowness is/was
> architectural - perhaps it was that chandler was persisting too much stuff
> to disk, or something. In any case, this might help you google for more
> detail.

My understanding was the Philip Eby's oft-quoted Python Is Not Java[1]
post was a direct response to how he saw the Chandler project being
developed:

"I was recently looking at the source of a wxPython-based GUI
application, about 45.5KLOC in size, not counting the libraries used
(e.g. Twisted). The code was written by Java developers who are
relatively new to Python, and it suffers from some performance issues
(like a 30-second startup time). In examining the code, I found that
they had done lots of things that make sense in Java, but which suck
terribly in Python. Not because "Python is slower than Java", but
because there are easier ways to accomplish the same goals in Python,
that wouldn't even be possible in Java."

[1]: http://dirtsimple.org/2004/12/python-is-not-java.html