Python Imaging Library download link broken?

Tim Harig usernet at ilthio.net
Tue Jun 30 04:28:14 EDT 2009

On 2009-06-30, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <td22m.1717$8r.956 at nlpi064.nbdc.sbc.com>, Tim Harig wrote:
>> On 2009-06-29, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand>
>> wrote:
>>> Sounds more like broken OS with no integrated package management.
>> Package managers with dependency tracking were all the rage when I first
>> started using Linux.  So I tried Red Hat and everything worked great until
>> the depency database corrupted itself.
> I have been using and administering various flavours of Linux--Red Hat,
> SuSE, Mandrake (before it was Mandriva), Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu--over about
> the last decade, and I have NEVER seen this mythical dependency database
> corruption of which you speak.

Its usually referred to as RPM hell (like DLL hell) although it can happen
to DEB packages as well.  You end up in a situation with cyclic
dependencies where you cannot delete one application because it depends on
a second but you cannot remove the second because it depends on the first.

What can I say.  It happens.  It happened to me.

> If you thought they were "all the rage" before, they're pretty much
> mandatory now.

I have been happy for years using my own heavily modified version of
Slackware for installing the base system.  After that, I install everything
from source.

Incidently, a similar discussion has started in a subthread of
comp.unix.shell.