LGPL license for Qt 4.5

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 08:08:45 EST 2009

On Jan 14, 2:57 pm, sturlamolden <sturlamol... at yahoo.no> wrote:

> According to a Norwegian publication, Nokia will release Qt under LGPL
> as of version 4.5.
>
> If I had stocks in Riverbank Computing ltd., I would sell them now...

Isn't that a tad thankless and premature?

It may be that the "support" aspect needs to be emphasized (currently,
the paying customers get a priority over non-paying customers, but
there are no formal support contracts), but if we assume that the
usage of Qt & PyQt in commercial setting is going to skyrocket (I'd
wager that it's a pretty safe assumption), selling plain support could
prove very profitable as well - esp. since most PyQt users probably
won't be too eager to start messing with SIP & fiddling around with Qt
C++ plumbing.