LGPL license for Qt 4.5

eliben eliben at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 09:14:17 EST 2009

On Jan 14, 2:57 pm, sturlamolden <sturlamol... at yahoo.no> wrote:
> According to a Norwegian publication, Nokia will release Qt under LGPL
> as of version 4.5.
>
> If I had stocks in Riverbank Computing ltd., I would sell them now...

Unlikely...

The switch of Qt to LGPL will almost certainly vastly increase the Qt
user base. Leaving very few and minor imperfections aside, Qt is a
superior GUI library and programming framework, and its lack of free
license seriously impeded adoption in the past. The increase in Qt use
will also cause a great increase in PyQt use, and I would imagine
Riverbank will be able to make a good living from consulting on PyQt
topics, even if their sales from selling PyQt "licenses" decrease.

Eli