LGPL license for Qt 4.5

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 18:44:34 EST 2009

Carl Banks wrote:
> On Jan 14, 6:57 am, sturlamolden <sturlamol... at yahoo.no> wrote:
>> According to a Norwegian publication, Nokia will release Qt under LGPL
>> as of version 4.5.
>>
>> If I had stocks in Riverbank Computing ltd., I would sell them now...
>>
>> For the rest of us, this is fantastic news.
>>
>> http://digi.no/php/art.php?id=800922
>
> Is Nokia the making the full Qt toolkit LGPL, or just the parts that
> were previously GPL?  (Can't read Norwegian if it's in the article.)

The "full" Qt toolkit <4.5 is dual-licensed Commercial/GPL, and the "full" Qt
toolkit >=4.5 will be Commercial/LGPL/GPL. Trolltech did have a few extra
libraries that were just Commercial, IIRC, but these were relatively small. What
people usually call "Qt" (i.e. all of the stuff that PyQt wraps) is going to be
LGPLed.

You can get more information in English at the new Qt site here:

   http://www.qtsoftware.com/about/licensing

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."