Question on Python as career

joy99 subhakolkata1234 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 01:48:49 EST 2009

On Dec 2, 2:11 am, Phlip <phlip2... at gmail.com> wrote:
> joy99 wrote:
> > I have developed the following toolkits:
> > (i) A web based crawler;
> > (ii) A Bayesian classifier;
> > (iii) One NER engine;
> > (iv) One XML parser;
> > (v) One PoS Tagger;
> > (vi) One Parser based on CRF;
> > (vii) One MLE training system;
> > (viii) One Spell Checker;
> > (ix) One Transliteration System;
>
> > I have developed them either in Python2.5 and Python2.6.
>
> > After I complete my Post Doctoral which may be only 2-3 months away,
> > with this knowledge can I join IT?
>
> All your items are computer science. IT is about software engineering. That
> means _avoiding_ new research in preference for efficiently implementing
> business solutions.
You are right. But problem is that in our country hardly any people
work in the cutting edge technology. Something has been brought out in
the west and we try to imulate over here. At the end of the day, when
you see you toiled so much for a problem but it is actuallly someone
else's algorithm things are bit frustating. But well, my teachers
taught me whatever they could.

In Indian Institute of Science, well things are only bit better that
some of personal algorithms or revisions get approved.

I may continue with research but why to follow someone else's foot
step althrough life? So, better to earn money do a decent job instead
of doing all these. If I have enough inertia I can do it later too.
Many people do it.

> > Or Do I have to learn anything new?
>
> Test Driven Development.
I've to know this.
> Active Record (ORM models)
I've to know this too.
> HTML & webby technologies
I know it bit. HTML,XML,DHTML,SSML I know. I have slight knowledge of
Joomla and SOA.
> platforms & deployment issues
I will check on this.
> GNU, open source, and version controlling
I know it bit.
> Behavior Driven Development
>
> > Are there any India based opportunities- as I checked Python job board
> > it is very less.
>
> Ideally, IT should get the job done using a soft language like Python, Ruby, or
> Lua. IT should not waste its time using a hard language like C++. That is for
> system programming - making the modules that IT reuses.
>
> > If I get anything after completing my Post Doc with present base of
> > knowledge what profiles I may expect?
>
> How about videogames? They always need hard algorithms &
> computer science.

That is a nice thought. Thank you Sir.
But I may have to be expert in Graphics and Animation, too. I am
trying to find out.

> --

I was thinking if I need to know Django,any good RDBMS(I know only MS-
Access)

Best Regards,
Subhabrata.