Question on Python as career

Phlip phlip2005 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 16:11:21 EST 2009

joy99 wrote:

> I have developed the following toolkits:
> (i) A web based crawler;
> (ii) A Bayesian classifier;
> (iii) One NER engine;
> (iv) One XML parser;
> (v) One PoS Tagger;
> (vi) One Parser based on CRF;
> (vii) One MLE training system;
> (viii) One Spell Checker;
> (ix) One Transliteration System;
>
> I have developed them either in Python2.5 and Python2.6.
>
> After I complete my Post Doctoral which may be only 2-3 months away,
> with this knowledge can I join IT?

All your items are computer science. IT is about software engineering. That
means _avoiding_ new research in preference for efficiently implementing
business solutions.

> Or Do I have to learn anything new?

Test Driven Development.
Active Record (ORM models)
HTML & webby technologies
platforms & deployment issues
GNU, open source, and version controlling
Behavior Driven Development

> Are there any India based opportunities- as I checked Python job board
> it is very less.

Ideally, IT should get the job done using a soft language like Python, Ruby, or
Lua. IT should not waste its time using a hard language like C++. That is for
system programming - making the modules that IT reuses.

> If I get anything after completing my Post Doc with present base of
> knowledge what profiles I may expect?

How about videogames? They always need hard algorithms &
computer science.

--
   Phlip
   http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand