Building musical chords starting from (a lot of) rules

Mr.SpOOn mr.spoon21 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 08:57:31 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 7:21 AM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <mailman.3995.1226685656.3487.python-list at python.org>, Mr.SpOOn
> wrote:
>
>> C 9 is a base chord plus a the ninth note, but this implies the
>> presence of the seventh too, so it results in: C E G B D
>
> I don't recall such meanings in the chord names I came across. If you wanted
> both a seventh and ninth, you had to say so: "C7+9" or "Cmaj7+9".

Well, the notation style may vary a lot. In jazz music chords are very
complex and they contain a lot of note so sometimes I think is good to
simplify the notation and write just the exceptions.

So for example in jazz music it is more common the minor seventh than
the major, so writing just G7 you mean the dominant seventh chord
(with minor seventh) and you have to write just the major one with
maj7.

I think I'm going to consider both styles.