Building musical chords starting from (a lot of) rules

Sun Nov 16 02:01:47 EST 2008

In message <6uSdnbjyCJqaWILUnZ2dnUVZ_qXinZ2d at earthlink.com>, Dennis Lee
Bieber wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 19:21:49 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> declaimed the following in
> comp.lang.python:
>
>> In message <mailman.3995.1226685656.3487.python-list at python.org>,
>> Mr.SpOOn wrote:
>>
>> > C 9 is a base chord plus a the ninth note, but this implies the
>> > presence of the seventh too, so it results in: C E G B D
>>
>> I don't recall such meanings in the chord names I came across. If you
>> wanted both a seventh and ninth, you had to say so: "C7+9" or "Cmaj7+9".
>
> My books on harmony and such do indicate that a Cx implies all the
> intervening odd values up to x... But they also tend to indicate that
> (especially for guitar) the intervening can be left out...

Well, I did pick up chord notation mainly from guitar-playing friends.
Myself I was learning classical piano, where we didn't have much need for
such things. :)