Building musical chords starting from (a lot of) rules

bvdp bob at mellowood.ca
Sun Nov 16 11:57:14 EST 2008

Mr.SpOOn wrote:
> So for example in jazz music it is more common the minor seventh than
> the major, so writing just G7 you mean the dominant seventh chord
> (with minor seventh) and you have to write just the major one with
> maj7.

A minor 7th has a flatted 3rd (ie. C, Eb, G, Bb). Don't confuse your
readers and yourself by thinking that "minor" equals "dominant" in this
context. It never does. Spelling is usually Cm7.

A 7th is always a dominant (C, E, G, Bb). The only spelling I've ever
seen for this is C7.

A major 7th is just that (C, E, G, B). Spelling include CM7 (note the
uppercase M) and Cmaj7.

And then there are things like minor major 7th (C, Eb, G, B) ...

and the problem with all this is that the spellings really aren't
standard. It varies with different music book publishers, geographic
locales and time.

There are a number of books around (some out of print) which discuss
this in great detail (insert the word tedious if you want). One good
reference, if you can find it, is: Carl Brandt and Clinton Roemer.
Standardized Chord Symbol Notation. Roerick Music Co. Sherman Oaks, CA.

--
  **** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca
WWW:   http://www.mellowood.ca