People still using Tkinter?

Guilherme Polo ggpolo at gmail.com
Sat May 10 11:48:30 EDT 2008

2008/5/10 Kevin Walzer <kw at codebykevin.com>:
> Guilherme Polo wrote:
>>
>> 2008/5/10 Zentrader <zentraders at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> I like New Mexico Tech's site as well.  Also, take a look at the PMW
>>> extension for additional widgets, and TkTable and/or TableListWrapper.
>>> http://infohost.nmt.edu/tcc/help/pubs/tkinter/
>>
>> There is also Tile, or Ttk since Tk 8.5, if you are interested in
>> extensions too.
>> Apparently there are three Tile wrappers now, two are incomplete
>> (sorry for saying that):
>>
>> http://bruno.thoorens.free.fr/ttk.html -- Missing Treeview, big part
>> of ttk styling, maybe other things and it is not only a ttk wrapper
>> (there are other things besides it)
>> http://bugs.python.org/file10010/Tile.py -- Missing several methods in
>> Treeview, big part of ttk styling and maybe something else.
>>
>> And there is also one I'm doing, that I expect to be complete:
>>
>> http://gpolo.ath.cx:81/projects/ttk_to_tkinter/
>>
>> Documentation and samples are still lacking, but I'm working on them.
>> And I haven't tested it under Windows, so I invite you all to test it.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
> I'm the maintainer of Tile.py. It may well be incomplete, as it was first
> developed by Martin Franklin a couple of years ago and I've been modifying
> it as my own needs require.
>
> So you're doing your own implementation of ttk in Tkinter as a Google Summer
> of Code Project? Wonderful! Are you planning on submitting it for including
> in Tkinter's core, as I did?

Thanks ;)
And, yes Kevin, I'm planning to submit it for inclusion into Tkinter's core.

> If yours proves to be the better implementation
> I'll gladly withdraw mine, as I'm not sure I have time to overhaul it
> extensively.
>
> I'll follow your progress with interest!

Thanks for support it, and sorry for saying yours was incomplete.
I wasn't trying to sell my version by doing that, was just trying to
say there were some point on doing another wrapper. I also noticed
that there is some problem in getting Martin Franklin to fill the
contributors agreement, that was the second point on doing this
wrapper.

> --Kevin
>
> --
> Kevin Walzer