People still using Tkinter?

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Sat May 10 11:42:29 EDT 2008

Guilherme Polo wrote:
> 2008/5/10 Zentrader <zentraders at gmail.com>:
>> I like New Mexico Tech's site as well.  Also, take a look at the PMW
>> extension for additional widgets, and TkTable and/or TableListWrapper.
>> http://infohost.nmt.edu/tcc/help/pubs/tkinter/
>
> There is also Tile, or Ttk since Tk 8.5, if you are interested in
> extensions too.
> Apparently there are three Tile wrappers now, two are incomplete
> (sorry for saying that):
>
> http://bruno.thoorens.free.fr/ttk.html -- Missing Treeview, big part
> of ttk styling, maybe other things and it is not only a ttk wrapper
> (there are other things besides it)
> http://bugs.python.org/file10010/Tile.py -- Missing several methods in
> Treeview, big part of ttk styling and maybe something else.
>
> And there is also one I'm doing, that I expect to be complete:
>
> http://gpolo.ath.cx:81/projects/ttk_to_tkinter/
>
> Documentation and samples are still lacking, but I'm working on them.
> And I haven't tested it under Windows, so I invite you all to test it.
>
> Regards,

I'm the maintainer of Tile.py. It may well be incomplete, as it was
first developed by Martin Franklin a couple of years ago and I've been
modifying it as my own needs require.

So you're doing your own implementation of ttk in Tkinter as a Google
Summer of Code Project? Wonderful! Are you planning on submitting it for
including in Tkinter's core, as I did? If yours proves to be the better
implementation I'll gladly withdraw mine, as I'm not sure I have time to
overhaul it extensively.

I'll follow your progress with interest!

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin