IPv6 and Python

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri May 2 15:41:48 EDT 2008

> My hosting company provides me a common IPv4 address.
> I'd like to set up my workstation (Windows XP or Linux Debian, doesn't
> really matter) to temporarily use IPv6 for trying to add such feature
> to my library (I work on both Windows XP and Linux).
> Could someone point me to some resources describing how could I do
> that?

Information is spread widely. If you really want resources, I recommend
to google for them; there are various IPv6 howtos.

Here is how I would do it:

On Linux, "modprobe ipv6", then "ifconfig". This should display the
loopback adapter, with the address "::1". You should then be able to
listen on that address, and connect to it.

On Windows (XP SP2), "netsh int ipv6 install". Again, you should be able
to use IPv6 loopback afterwards.

If you want true connectivity to the global IPv6 internet, I recommend
SixXS (http://www.sixxs.net/). You can setup a tunnel to the IPv6 net
through your IPv4 POP, using a close IPv6 POP who participates in SixXS.
To set up the tunnel, you then use aiccu, which works really well for
me (and is packaged conveniently as a Debian package).

Regards,
Martin