IPv6 and Python

Giampaolo Rodola' gnewsg at gmail.com
Fri May 2 23:01:34 EDT 2008

On 2 Mag, 21:41, "Martin v. Löwis" <mar... at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> > My hosting company provides me a common IPv4 address.
> > I'd like to set up my workstation (Windows XP or Linux Debian, doesn't
> > really matter) to temporarily use IPv6 for trying to add such feature
> > to my library (I work on both Windows XP and Linux).
> > Could someone point me to some resources describing how could I do
> > that?
>
> Information is spread widely. If you really want resources, I recommend
> to google for them; there are various IPv6 howtos.
>
> Here is how I would do it:
>
> On Linux, "modprobe ipv6", then "ifconfig". This should display the
> loopback adapter, with the address "::1". You should then be able to
> listen on that address, and connect to it.
>
> On Windows (XP SP2), "netsh int ipv6 install". Again, you should be able
> to use IPv6 loopback afterwards.
>
> If you want true connectivity to the global IPv6 internet, I recommend
> SixXS (http://www.sixxs.net/). You can setup a tunnel to the IPv6 net
> through your IPv4 POP, using a close IPv6 POP who participates in SixXS.
> To set up the tunnel, you then use aiccu, which works really well for
> me (and is packaged conveniently as a Debian package).
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Thanks a lot. I've been able to listen on ::1:21 after having
installed IPv6 on both Windows and Linux thanks to your suggestions.
I'd like to ask one more question: is it possible to bind my server on
both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses (note: I do not use multiple threads or
processes)?

---- Giampaolo
http://code.google.com/p/pyftpdlib