help compiling Python on vs 2008!

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Sat May 17 17:05:19 EDT 2008

Matthieu Brucher schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I did not manage to build extension with distutils with Python compiled with
> VS different than 2003. The need for 2003 was hard-coded in distutils.
> You can try building extensions with VS2008 with Scons. This is what I do a
> lot, and everything works fine as long as the interface does not use
> standard structures (like FILE, custom structures are fine) or objects
> allocated in the extension is freed in the extension.

Python 2.5 is compiled with VS 2003. Neither VS 2005 nor 2008 are
officially supported.

You can compile extensions with a different version of MS VC but it can
get you in a lot of trouble. Every version of the VS Compiler uses its
own C Runtime Library (MSVCRT). You can't share some resources like
allocated memory and FILE* objects between MSVCRTs.

Christian