help compiling Python on vs 2008!

Matthieu Brucher matthieu.brucher at gmail.com
Sat May 17 15:26:08 EDT 2008

Hi,

I did not manage to build extension with distutils with Python compiled with
VS different than 2003. The need for 2003 was hard-coded in distutils.
You can try building extensions with VS2008 with Scons. This is what I do a
lot, and everything works fine as long as the interface does not use
standard structures (like FILE, custom structures are fine) or objects
allocated in the extension is freed in the extension.

Matthieu

2008/5/17 inhahe <inhahe at gmail.com>:

> "Christian Heimes" <lists at cheimes.de> wrote in message
> news:mailman.1270.1211029209.12834.python-list at python.org...
> > inhahe schrieb:
> >> what is going on here, and how do I compile these external libraries?
> >
> > I assume you are trying to compile Python 2.5 with VS 9.0. It's not
> > supported. Some extensions don't compile under VS 9.0
> >
> > Christian
> >

> I just installed Visual Studio 8 and tried compling and I bgot the same
> problem.  hope this isn't a redundant post. i don't know if
> pyhon-list at python.org reposts here.
>

> --

French PhD student