help compiling Python on vs 2008!

Matthieu Brucher matthieu.brucher at gmail.com
Sat May 17 17:35:53 EDT 2008

2008/5/17 Christian Heimes <lists at cheimes.de>:

> Matthieu Brucher schrieb:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I did not manage to build extension with distutils with Python compiled
> with
> > VS different than 2003. The need for 2003 was hard-coded in distutils.
> > You can try building extensions with VS2008 with Scons. This is what I do
> > lot, and everything works fine as long as the interface does not use
> > standard structures (like FILE, custom structures are fine) or objects
> > allocated in the extension is freed in the extension.
>
> Python 2.5 is compiled with VS 2003. Neither VS 2005 nor 2008 are
> officially supported.

Even if you compile Python 2.5 with VS2008, VS2003 is used for the
extensions, AFAIR. I didn't try Python 2.6 because I only have Visual C++
Express 2008.

You can compile extensions with a different version of MS VC but it can
> get you in a lot of trouble. Every version of the VS Compiler uses its
> own C Runtime Library (MSVCRT). You can't share some resources like
> allocated memory and FILE* objects between MSVCRTs.

I don't see your point, that's what I wrote...

Matthieu
--
French PhD student