php vs python

Jerry Stuckle jstucklex at attglobal.net
Sun May 25 14:15:57 EDT 2008

Lie wrote:
> On May 22, 12:28 pm, NC <n... at iname.com> wrote:
>> On May 21, 1:10 pm, notbob <not... at nothome.com> wrote:
>>

>>> So, here's my delimna: I want to start a blog.  Yeah, who doesn't.
>>> Yet, I want learn the guts of it instead of just booting up some
>>> wordwank or whatever.
>> Here's a simple computation to consider...  WordPress' codebase is
>> approximately a megabyte of PHP code and megabyte of JavaScript code.
>> Assuming that the average line of that code is 50 characters long, you
>> are looking at 20,000 lines of code in PHP and as many in JavaScript.
>> Based on the notion that the average developer out there writes 100
>> lines a day, either you're in for a two-year project or your product
>> is going to have seriously reduced functionality compared to something
>> that's been freely available for years.  What's your choice?
>
> Nope, the core functionality of a blogging software could be
> replicated in just a few lines of PHP codes, in the range of tens to
> hundreds of lines. If you're creating your own blogging software, you
> wouldn't seriously think you'd recreate all those things such as
> pingbacks, commenting system, etc, etc, etc. No, you'd start with some
> basic core functionalities: a few simple server side includes only.

As he said - it's either a two man-year project or your product is going
to have seriously reduced functionality.  It looks like you are opting
for the latter.

Also, you still need to write the server-side includes.  But they won't
do nearly enough for everything WordPress does.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address
jstucklex at attglobal.net