php vs python

Lie Lie.1296 at gmail.com
Sun May 25 13:37:01 EDT 2008

On May 22, 12:28 pm, NC <n... at iname.com> wrote:
> On May 21, 1:10 pm, notbob <not... at nothome.com> wrote:
>

> > So, here's my delimna: I want to start a blog.  Yeah, who doesn't.
> > Yet, I want learn the guts of it instead of just booting up some
> > wordwank or whatever.
>
> Here's a simple computation to consider...  WordPress' codebase is
> approximately a megabyte of PHP code and megabyte of JavaScript code.
> Assuming that the average line of that code is 50 characters long, you
> are looking at 20,000 lines of code in PHP and as many in JavaScript.
> Based on the notion that the average developer out there writes 100
> lines a day, either you're in for a two-year project or your product
> is going to have seriously reduced functionality compared to something
> that's been freely available for years.  What's your choice?

Nope, the core functionality of a blogging software could be
replicated in just a few lines of PHP codes, in the range of tens to
hundreds of lines. If you're creating your own blogging software, you
wouldn't seriously think you'd recreate all those things such as
pingbacks, commenting system, etc, etc, etc. No, you'd start with some
basic core functionalities: a few simple server side includes only.