php vs python

Ivan Illarionov ivan.illarionov at gmail.com
Sun May 25 14:46:32 EDT 2008

Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> Lie wrote:
> >> Here's a simple computation to consider...  WordPress' codebase is
> >> approximately a megabyte of PHP code and megabyte of JavaScript code.
> >> Assuming that the average line of that code is 50 characters long, you
> >> are looking at 20,000 lines of code in PHP and as many in JavaScript.
> >> Based on the notion that the average developer out there writes 100
> >> lines a day, either you're in for a two-year project or your product
> >> is going to have seriously reduced functionality compared to something
> >> that's been freely available for years.  What's your choice?
>
> > Nope, the core functionality of a blogging software could be
> > replicated in just a few lines of PHP codes, in the range of tens to
> > hundreds of lines. If you're creating your own blogging software, you
> > wouldn't seriously think you'd recreate all those things such as
> > pingbacks, commenting system, etc, etc, etc. No, you'd start with some
> > basic core functionalities: a few simple server side includes only.
>
> As he said - it's either a two man-year project or your product is going
> to have seriously reduced functionality.  It looks like you are opting
> for the latter.
>
> Also, you still need to write the server-side includes.  But they won't
> do nearly enough for everything WordPress does.

If the OP wants to learn the guts of the blog or to implement the blog
from scratch, Python/Django would be a better choice than PHP. The
reason is that he can reuse and customize existing high quality
components for all these auth/auth, admin, comments, etc, etc, etc.
Another reason is that Python and Django encourage very clean design
while PHP is too often ends up in "spaghetti SQL wrapped in spaghetti
PHP wrapped in spaghetti HTML". 2 man/year in PHP == 2 man/week in
Python/Django.

And there are Python/Django blog applications that already do almost
everything (and maybe more) that WordPress does. http://byteflow.su/
is one of them (IMHO the most promising).

Ivan