php vs python

Jerry Stuckle jstucklex at attglobal.net
Sun May 25 15:07:09 EDT 2008

Ivan Illarionov wrote:
> Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>> Lie wrote:
>>> Nope, the core functionality of a blogging software could be
>>> replicated in just a few lines of PHP codes, in the range of tens to
>>> hundreds of lines. If you're creating your own blogging software, you
>>> wouldn't seriously think you'd recreate all those things such as
>>> pingbacks, commenting system, etc, etc, etc. No, you'd start with some
>>> basic core functionalities: a few simple server side includes only.
>> As he said - it's either a two man-year project or your product is going
>> to have seriously reduced functionality.  It looks like you are opting
>> for the latter.
>>
>> Also, you still need to write the server-side includes.  But they won't
>> do nearly enough for everything WordPress does.
>
> If the OP wants to learn the guts of the blog or to implement the blog
> from scratch, Python/Django would be a better choice than PHP. The
> reason is that he can reuse and customize existing high quality
> components for all these auth/auth, admin, comments, etc, etc, etc.
> Another reason is that Python and Django encourage very clean design
> while PHP is too often ends up in "spaghetti SQL wrapped in spaghetti
> PHP wrapped in spaghetti HTML". 2 man/year in PHP == 2 man/week in
> Python/Django.

You can do the same in PHP.  And PHP doesn't create spaghetti code -
programmers do.  Good programmers write good code in any language.  Poor
programmers write lousy code - in any language.

And I'd love to see you write WordPress in 2 weeks in Python.  That's
about 2K LOC.  Can't be done with the same functionality - unless you
have some 50K lines.

It's going to be very close to the same 2 man years that PHP takes.

> And there are Python/Django blog applications that already do almost
> everything (and maybe more) that WordPress does. http://byteflow.su/
> is one of them (IMHO the most promising).
>
> Ivan

And there are many CMS's written in PHP which do much more than
WordPress does.  Drupal, Joomla and Mambo come to mind.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address
jstucklex at attglobal.net