php vs python

inhahe inhahe at gmail.com
Thu May 22 18:14:53 EDT 2008

I don't like php.  I tried it once and I had it sort a list, but the list
was apparently too long for its sorting function because it just sorted the
first so-many elements of it and left the rest in order, and didn't generate
any error.  I like a language that's actually determined by what you tell it
to do.   I hear it has a lot of security issues too.  I'm not sure that php
*runs* faster than python, having seen benchmarks, but it certainly loads
faster.  Maybe not so much of a difference once python25.dll is already in
the cache though (speaking from a windows perspective).  because when i load
a program it can take a while but it's pretty quick if i'd just loaded one
recently.  but you don't necessarily have to load python for each page
rendering anyway.

I like the Python language a lot better than php.  but I just really like
Python.

php mixes html and code out-of-the-box (sort of.. i guess it's more like a
reversal of which one is explicit)... if you use Python you should look into
a 'templating engine' like mako.  i use cheetah, but mako is supposed to be
better.

i think Python is the easiest language to learn, with the possible exception
of qbasic (just because making multidimensional arrays in python isnt that
obvious, although maybe it is using numpy, i've never tried it).  Python
isn't as easy as basic if you use/have to read the more advanced features,
but those aren't even available in basic. so I find it a comfortable
learning curve.