php vs python

Jerry Stuckle jstucklex at attglobal.net
Thu May 22 23:09:34 EDT 2008

inhahe wrote:
> I don't like php.  I tried it once and I had it sort a list, but the list
> was apparently too long for its sorting function because it just sorted the
> first so-many elements of it and left the rest in order, and didn't generate
> any error.  I like a language that's actually determined by what you tell it
> to do.

Then I suspect you had an error in your code.  PHP's sort functions work
fine.

> I hear it has a lot of security issues too.

The language has no security issues.  Programmers have security issues -
whether it be PHP, Python or any other language.

> I'm not sure that php
> *runs* faster than python, having seen benchmarks, but it certainly loads
> faster.  Maybe not so much of a difference once python25.dll is already in
> the cache though (speaking from a windows perspective).  because when i load
> a program it can take a while but it's pretty quick if i'd just loaded one
> recently.  but you don't necessarily have to load python for each page
> rendering anyway.
>
> I like the Python language a lot better than php.  but I just really like
> Python.

I like PHP much better than Python.  To each their own.

> php mixes html and code out-of-the-box (sort of.. i guess it's more like a
> reversal of which one is explicit)... if you use Python you should look into
> a 'templating engine' like mako.  i use cheetah, but mako is supposed to be
> better.

PHP can do that.  There are also a number of templating engines
available.  The nice thing about PHP is you have a choice.

> i think Python is the easiest language to learn, with the possible exception
> of qbasic (just because making multidimensional arrays in python isnt that
> obvious, although maybe it is using numpy, i've never tried it).  Python
> isn't as easy as basic if you use/have to read the more advanced features,
> but those aren't even available in basic. so I find it a comfortable
> learning curve.

I found PHP easier to learn than Python.  But that may be because I
already have a strong C/C++ background.

There isn't anything wrong with Python.  I just prefer PHP.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address
jstucklex at attglobal.net