php vs python

NC nc at iname.com
Thu May 22 01:28:32 EDT 2008

On May 21, 1:10 pm, notbob <not... at nothome.com> wrote:

> So, here's my delimna: I want to start a blog.  Yeah, who doesn't.
> Yet, I want learn the guts of it instead of just booting up some
> wordwank or whatever.

Here's a simple computation to consider...  WordPress' codebase is
approximately a megabyte of PHP code and megabyte of JavaScript code.
Assuming that the average line of that code is 50 characters long, you
are looking at 20,000 lines of code in PHP and as many in JavaScript.
Based on the notion that the average developer out there writes 100
lines a day, either you're in for a two-year project or your product
is going to have seriously reduced functionality compared to something
that's been freely available for years.  What's your choice?

> Then I run across that blog, Coding Horror, and start reading
> articles like this:
>
> http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001119.html

You should read what some computer scientists write about SQL... :)

> Now what?

Nothing.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  You are free to form
your own.

> I've taken basic basic and basic C, but am barely literate
> in html.

Maybe that (and some JavaScript) is something to work on first before
delving into server-side programming?

> Well, that's my actual question, then.  Is php really so bad
> I'm just wasting my time?  Or is it really the quickest way
> to blog functionality?

The quickest way to blog functionality is an account on a blogging
service...  :)

> Would I be better served in the long run learning python, which
> claims to be easy as pie to learn/program (still looks hard to
> me).  I admit I'm no code geek.  But, I'm not completely brain
> dead, either, and I need something to keep my geezer brain
> sparking.  What say ye?

If the purpose is to keep the brain sparking, it doesn't matter what
you learn as long as you're enjoying the process.  You might as well
take up Japanese while you're at it...

Cheers,
NC