Help needed in choosing an algorithm for Cryptographic services.

Peter Pearson ppearson at nowhere.invalid
Fri May 30 10:50:36 EDT 2008

On Thu, 29 May 2008 20:27:35 -0500, Larry Bates wrote:
> abhishek wrote:
>> Hi group, recently my employer asked me too implement encryption/
>> decryption for secure data transfer over internet. Problem is that the
>> client application is written using C# and the webserver where i need
>> to store the information is developed using python.
>>
>> My situation of dilemma is which cryptographic method suits me best
>> for this purpose.
>>
>> Help/Suggestions are urgently required

The proper newsgroup for this question is sci.crypt.

Data security is a complex and difficult problem, and you are likely
to fail in the worst possible way: implementing something that is
weak but that you believe to be strong.  Some advice: (1) Use
off-the-shelf products like PGP or GPG; don't write your own.
(2) Read Bruce Schneier's Applied Cryptography to get a feeling
for the dimensions of the problem. (3) Start by composing a
clear statement of what you need, avoiding vague terms like
"security".  If you don't know where you're going, you can't
tell whether you've arrived.